Currently, medicine in the USA is one of the leading and most expensive in the world.
Even Americans have difficulties getting medical insurance and providing medical assistance.
Only children under 19 years old can receive free medical services. To save on health care, many Americans travel to Mexico.
Tourists who come to the United States without insurance can bear huge expenses if they suddenly get sick.
If you are going to the United States, you must obtain medical insurance since this country is one of the five countries in which medical services are the most expensive. If you purchase travel insurance, you are able to receive absolutely all medical services: a doctor’s consultation, tests, medicine, hospitalization.
What is health insurance?
Health insurance is a deal with an insurance company that requires you to pay a certain amount to that company every month. In the event of your illness, the insurance company pays part of the cost of health care services.
Healthcare in America is actually quite expensive, therefore, insurance is required. Those who do not have insurance often have to borrow money to pay for medical services. One of the most demanded fundraising options is online payday loans Nebraska. This is the fastest way to get $100-$1,000 same day. To get accepted for a loan, you only need to be a US citizen or permanent resident, have a valid bank account and some kind of identity verification. The entire process can be completed within 10-15 minutes, from the comfort of your home. Such loans are unsecured and can be used for whatever needs, including medical treatment.
Who needs health insurance?
Today, any legal representatives of the country, whether they are citizens of the USA, refugees, green card holders, etc., must have health insurance.
This condition is not negotiable and is part of the Affordable Care Act.
If residents of the United States does not have health insurance, in addition to their own costs for medical services, they will be forced to pay a fine to the state.
Types of health insurance
There are three main types of insurance in the United States:
- HMO – this category of insurance in the United States is the cheapest. In this case, it is necessary to visit doctors and healthcare buildings of the same network. In addition, you will stop choosing one doctor who will write out in subsequent referrals to other doctors;
- PPO – This category of insurance covers both online and offline treatment. The network may have the most favorable conditions. When contacting specialists outside the network, some additional payment is possible and the conditions may not be so beneficial for you. A referral to doctors from a therapist is not required, the doctor will admit an appointment without it. It will be more expensive to buy health insurance in the USA in this category;
- EPO is the same type of insurance as an HMO. The only difference is the lack of a primary physician and the required referrals to physicians.
Types of insurance plans and their cost
There are five main insurance plans based on the percentage of medical coverage:
- Platinum – 90% paid by the insurance;
- Gold – 80% paid by insurance;
- Silver – 70% is paid by the insurance;
- Bronze – 60% paid by the insurance.
You can also get health insurance upon arrival in the United States. In such a case, there are many special firms. However, such insurance will be more expensive than the one that can be obtained in your home country.
It should be noted that insurance plans are distinguished by an abundance of important factors:
- Co-pay is a set amount you pay for any healthcare service and the insurance company pays the rest of the amount;
- Deductible – funds that must be spent before insurance coverage begins;
- Co-insurance – you pay some percentage, the rest is paid by the insurance company;
- Out-of-pocket maximum – the maximum amount you spend, you will start accepting a 100% refund from the insurance company.
The cost of medical services in the USA
The average cost of medical services in the United States:
- Specialist visit – from $200 to $600;
- Blood test – from $300 to $7,000;
- Regular filling – from $200;
- Kidney ultrasound – from $350;
- 911 ambulance visit – from $900.
Do you need travel insurance for the USA?
It will be better if you purchase insurance in your home country before traveling to the USA.
When entering into a deal with an insurance company, it is important to ensure that the insurance company is accredited in the United States, has an insurance program suitable for America, and also has a service program in the USA.
When choosing an insurance program, you should consider the covered risks necessary for your stay in the states.
Any visit to a US hospital is chargeable. Therefore, it is worth finding out in advance whether the chosen travel medical insurance will cover such costs.
When issuing a policy, you need to clarify why you are going to America – just enjoy a beach vacation, or do active leisure activities.
The insurance will turn out to be more expensive, but you will have the opportunity to add all the necessary circumstances to the contract.
If you have an insurance policy, you can be sure that all costs for medical services are borne by the insurance company.
An exception may be the purchase of a prescription drug. But by spending your own funds and keeping the receipt, you can get your money back in your country.
Simply put, an insured person will protect himself from any extreme situation.
Cost of travel medical insurance for the U.S.
The cost of travel insurance will cost depends on your state, income, and the selected insurance plan.
The price of HMO insurance per person is more than $160 with minimum insurance.
How do you get health insurance?
There are several ways to get health insurance:
- The insurance is paid in full by the state if the person is unemployed, poor or disabled;
- If the employer does not pay for insurance and the income is small, the state will pay part of the costs;
- If the person is employed, the employer must pay for health insurance in whole or in part;
- If a person works and his income is high enough, or average, then he fully acquires insurance at his own expense;
- If the person is over 65 years old, then he receives government-funded insurance.